CNO Legal Glossary
- A serious crime, punishable by at least six months in prison.
- A relationship that obliges one to act for the benefit of another.
- To formally give the office of the clerk of court a document to enter into the record of a case.
- Finding, Finding of fact
- A statement that a judge, jury, or hearing officer in a legal proceeding determines to be true.
- A lender’s legal proceeding to take the real property of a debtor to satisfy a debt.
- Forensic evidence
- Evidence provided through scientific reports and opinions, such as DNA results, fingerprinting, and blood-splatter analysis.
- Without any legal basis or support.
The CNO Legal Glossary is part of an ongoing effort to educate the public about the courts and explain the legal system. The glossary is an evolving, interactive public resource. CNO encourages readers to send in their ideas for words and phrases to be considered for inclusion in the glossary. Submit your suggestions to CNO@sc.ohio.gov. The content of the CNO Legal Glossary does not represent the legal views of the court and is not considered or consulted by the justices in case deliberations.