CNO Legal Glossary
- The ruling of a reviewing court to set aside the decision of a lower court.
- The geographic area in which a court has jurisdiction.
- The decision of a trial jury in a civil or criminal case.
- Vexatious litigator
- A party determined by a court to be engaging in frivolous conduct by filing cases or motions without reasonable cause.
- Vicarious liability
- The legal responsibility that a supervisory party, such as an employer, carries for the conduct of a subordinate, such as an employee, based on the nature of their relationship.
- Voir dire
- French meaning “to see, to say.” The process of questioning potential jurors for a particular case.
The CNO Legal Glossary is part of an ongoing effort to educate the public about the courts and explain the legal system. The glossary is an evolving, interactive public resource. CNO encourages readers to send in their ideas for words and phrases to be considered for inclusion in the glossary. Submit your suggestions to CNO@sc.ohio.gov. The content of the CNO Legal Glossary does not represent the legal views of the court and is not considered or consulted by the justices in case deliberations.