CNO Legal Glossary
- Place of local confinement for those awaiting trial while not on bond and those convicted of misdemeanors.
- An official of the judicial branch with authority to decide lawsuits brought before courts.
- The official decision of a court finally resolving the dispute between parties to a lawsuit.
- One of the seven members of the Supreme Court of Ohio, or one of the nine members of the U.S. Supreme Court.
- The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a certain type of case.
- The study of law and the structure of the legal system.
- The group of persons selected to hear the evidence in a trial and decide a verdict based on the facts.
- Jury instructions
- A judge’s directions to the jury on the questions it must answer and the legal rules it must apply.
The CNO Legal Glossary is part of an ongoing effort to educate the public about the courts and explain the legal system. The glossary is an evolving, interactive public resource. CNO encourages readers to send in their ideas for words and phrases to be considered for inclusion in the glossary. Submit your suggestions to CNO@sc.ohio.gov. The content of the CNO Legal Glossary does not represent the legal views of the court and is not considered or consulted by the justices in case deliberations.