CNO Legal Glossary
- Written court order for police to conduct a search or make an arrest.
- A person called on in a lawsuit to give testimony before the judge or jury.
- A special type of written court order.
- Writ of mandamus
- A court order that compels someone to perform a legal duty.
- Writ of procedendo
- An order requiring a lower court to issue a judgment in a specific case.
- Writ of prohibition
- A court order that directs a person or entity to refrain from doing something.
The CNO Legal Glossary is part of an ongoing effort to educate the public about the courts and explain the legal system. The glossary is an evolving, interactive public resource. CNO encourages readers to send in their ideas for words and phrases to be considered for inclusion in the glossary. Submit your suggestions to CNO@sc.ohio.gov. The content of the CNO Legal Glossary does not represent the legal views of the court and is not considered or consulted by the justices in case deliberations.